Asbestos is the mixture of some silicate materials that are often mixed with cement and other building materials for adding to the thickness of the concrete slabs that are used in manufacturing process of the buildings. Hence, the building owners or the developers need to be sure that their building materials are free from the presence of asbestos. But it is not possible for them to identify the trace of asbestos in the concrete slabs or mixtures, which can be only detected by testing in any competent lab. You are often not able to find the asbestos materials on your roof because these asbestos particles are mainly deposited inside the building materials and you should test these roof materials with some tools. In these regards, you can hire some testing professionals and they will do the asbestos testing process with advanced tools.
Simple processes that should be adopted before asbestos sample testing
- First of all, it is necessary to pick up the samples that can be sent to the chosen lab for asbestos sample testing. A person may need to send multiple samples to the lab, extracted from different parts of the building. Usually, samples are taken the concrete roofs and walls, floor tiles, textured part of the painted building surfaces, windowsills, cement water tanks and ventilation areas.
- If the sample needs to be taken out from a large concrete slab or a part of the building, that area should be wetted with water, to make it softer for breaking easily. But it is suggested that do not break the asbestos slab directly because these slabs will release harmful fibers and they are the main causes of lung problems.
- The vacant spot of the building should be immediately repaired or covered with any suitable sealant, to maintain the equilibrium of the building in that part and prevent further damage.
- All the samples should be packed in individual packs and double layered polyethene bags with grip locks are the best ones to be used for this purpose.
- Then all the samples can be put into a hard container or bag, where the samples will remain intact till they reach the lab. In some labs, it is necessary to put this bag in a large paper envelope, with the purpose of sending these samples written distinctly there.
Information about self-sampling kits for asbestos testing
Some labs have the provision of sending their inspectors to the site of the customer, for extracting the samples from the suspected parts of the building, if the customer fails to do the job neatly and safely.
- However, now self-sampling kits are also available for asbestos sample testing, with which it is easier for the common people to take out the required samples from any part of their houses. These self-sampling kits generally contain a full description of the using procedures of all the given equipment, suitable grip lock bags for packing the samples, different instruments for extracting the samples neatly from the building, disposable face mask, coverall and gloves for the safety of the user of this kit.
- It is better to hire these professionals and they will collect the sample from your building, even they can also detect the asbestos without testing it in their labs and they can easily show you the asbestos particles from your roof and walls instantly.
It is best to send only solid samples from the building parts that can be broken easily, for the convenience of analysis in the labs. But the sample should not reach the lab in the dust form, as it is costlier to analyze a few dust particles through only an electron microscope that is really expensive.