There is no denial of the fact that fireplace are the focal point of any living room, deck or the back yard. It is a wonderful way to create cosy and warmth from fire in cold and chilly winter evening. Everyone likes that fireplace in the house but how many of us are aware of all the things that must be kept in mind while buying the fireplace for the house. In this article, we will discuss them and the safety tips that must be kept in mind while using the fireplace.
Things to Be Kept in Mind While Buying the Fireplace!
- Size of the fireplace is the most important thing that must be kept in mind, wheather you are buying an outdoor or an indoor fireplace. Both oversized and under sized fireplace can create inconvenience for the user. Outdoor fireplaces should be such that they can be used as both the bonfire and barbecues on cool evenings.
- A one-time investment in good fireplace can prevent the expenditure over maintenance for the life time. It will not only be cost effective in the long run but will also add lot of convenience in the work of the home maker.
- Material of the fireplace is another very important feature to be looked at. Cast aluminum fireplaces looks beautiful but you will have to keep them guarded as it may attract the thieves to take the fireplace out of the yard. Its better you keep the outdoor fireplace covered by a fabric when not in use.
- Make sure that the fireplace is coming along with raised bars to be placed around the fireplace. It is very important for the safety of small kids and pets.
- Another important selection while buying the fireplaces is the fuel to be used for producing fire. Pinewood logs not only produce fine scent while burning but they produce active flames and good heat on some very chilly days. You can also go for other kind of firewood logs available in the market.
Safety Tips That Will Not Only Help to Maintain the Fireplace and Prevent Big Damages
- The first very important thing to keep in mind is regular repair and maintenance of the chimney of the fireplace. It helps in uniform exhaustion of smoke and prevents any major damage or expenditure in future. Birds and animals can easily flock in the chimney, and regular cleaning will prevent that.
- Using a fireplace grate over the floor is not an added expenditure but an investment. Concrete though a tough material but can get destroyed due to constant exposure to fire. Fireplace grate will prevent the floor from coming in direct contact with fire and thus preventing major expenditure of floor replacement in future.
- One of the most important things to be kept in mind is to keep the fire extinguishers just near the fireplace. This will help you to fight in case of the fire emergency before it is too late. Moreover, you should also get both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors near the fireplace.
- Cleaning the ashes from the fireplace after each use is very important. But here we must take care of storing the ashes in a noncombustible container outside the house.
Thus, a fireplace is a wonderful addition to any home. It not only brings warmth in the atmosphere but also increases the value and appeal of your house.