Firewood and mulches are two different kind of products generally sold at one place. We all know that the prior is a wooden material generally wood logs used as a fuel in homes and other commercial places. On the other hand, mulch is a layer on soil, to keep the soil cool, free from weed and allows it to retain the moisture. Organic mulch can be prepared from dry leaves, the bark of trees (either shredded or chipped). So now, we know about both the products, but we do not know how to buy the right product. One may tend to confuse between the two products while buying.
Several points to remember when you are out to purchase these products:
In Case of Firewood:
- Try to understand the wood and its characteristics. If you know about different type of wood and their characteristics then it will be easier for you to choose the right one matching your needs.
- Sometimes, these wood logs look dry from the surface, but have moisture on the inner layers, so while making the purchase remember to have a close look on these wood logs. Also, trust your power of smelling. As the wet wood has a distinct smell, which is easy to recognize, if tried. Too much of moisture in the wood can impact its efficiency in the burning process.
Analyze your needs such as:
- If you are looking for a crackling fire at home or any other place then you can choose either fir or pine. Both of them gives a perfectly crackling fire with a fresh aroma, although you need to cover your fireplace with a protective shield, as this crackling can propel sparks outside of the burning area.
- If you are looking for some heat then you must choose a hardwood as the firewood for your place, as these wood logs offer the maximum amount of heat with minimal amount of smoke. Some of the trees with hardwood are Ash, Red oak, Hard Maple, Pecan, Apple, etc.
In Case of Mulches:
- Firstly, one has to choose between the organic mulches and the inorganic ones. Generally, organic are the first preference for all. Organic mulch normally decomposes after a period of time and increase the fertility of the soil in the process.
- If your garden area is perfect and you are not looking for making more additions in it, then the mulches made of bark is the perfect option for you. Since these mulches do not mix in the soil, they are hard to dig into. In addition, they look beautiful if spread around the trees.
- Newspapers are the next new form of mulches, which is easy to find. Shredded newspapers can be spread in your garden and can easily retain the moisture in the soil and control its temperature along with suppressing the spread of weeds.
- On the other hand, always choose the mulch on the basis of the plant. However, you also need to keep the budget factor in mind while buying any of them. The expensive one is not always the best. You have to select accordingly keeping in mind all the important aspects while buying the firewood and mulch.
The above points regarding to the firewood and mulch will help you to buy the right product matching your needs. However, the most important fact to make the purchase of the product of your choice is by analysing what you are looking for at the first place. It makes the process of the selection quite easy and efficient.